Boat insurance is required in the USA, do you need a boating license for the same. You have to obtain a boating safety identification card, register and title your boat and carry some safety equipment on-board.
Boat Insurance covers the following:
- Coverage for damage to the vessel or your personal property for instance when the boat is in water or being trailered.
- Liability coverage for damage to others.
- Medical payment coverage if anyone on the boat sustains any injury.
- Uninsured boat owner’s coverage for any damage sustained due to another uninsured boat owner.
- Towing coverage.
Cheapest Boat Insurance
The cost of boat insurance depends on various factors, which are as follows:
- The value of the boat
- The storage area and navigational territory of the boat
- Size of the boat
- Kind of marine vessel
- Purpose of use
- How often is it used?
Based on these factors, insurers will present to you a protection plan which would include cost, tenure, and rate of interest.
You can use the boat insurance cost calculator available on many official websites of lenders who provide boat insurance.
In order to get the cheapest boat insurance, you can consider a variety of possible options:
- Adding an auxiliary motor in case of any emergency can save you some money on boat insurance.
- You can also go for a higher hull deductible, as long as you can afford it. This will lower your insurance amount.
- You Can take a boat safety course to lower the amount of insurance.
- If you’re going to buy a boat, go for a new one as older boats come with higher insurance rates.
- If you’re planning to use your boat seasonally, the cost of insurance would be low as stored boats are considered less at risk.
Boat insurance requirements
The USA may not have mandated insurance for boats, but they do have a number of laws for registering and operating marine vessels.
If you’re about to dock your boat anywhere in the USA, it is advisable to know the rules and regulations in place:
- Boating Licence
State laws mandate that anyone born after 1988 has to complete a boating safety course and possess a boating safety education identification card if they operate a vessel with more than 10 horsepower.
For jet-ski, the boater safety identification card is necessary for people under the age of 22. The card can be obtained from the USA Fish and Wildlife Conservation Center (FWC).
- Boat safety equipment laws
Boat safety equipment laws in USA , the requirement of the following:
- Fire extinguishers and backfire flame control
- A horn or any other device producing sound to signal other boats
- A ventilation system
- Vessel lighting equipment
- Visual distress signals
- At least 1 personal floatation device
- Boat registration requirement
To operate a boat in the USA, you need to title and register your boat with the authorities within 30 days of purchasing the boat. The application can be submitted to a county tax collector or license plate agent office.
You can either apply for a one or two-year registration. Once registered, you need to keep it with you on the boat along with a number and decals that have to be affixed on your vessel.
For boat title, you have to provide proof of ownership like a bill of sale or the manufacturer’s certificate of origin.
USA boat titling fees are as follows:
- $5.25 for an electronic title
- $7.75 for a paper title
- $11 for expedited title
- $1 per existing lien on the boat
- $4 if the boat was previously registered in another state
Once the title is issued, you can apply for boat registration depending on its length.
BOAT INSURANCE by State
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- New York